OpenTX 2.2.0 RC18 (N371) Improving your Tx
We are happy to bring you the 18th release candidate of OpenTX 2.2.0, with support for the production version of the FrSky Horus radio!
PLEASE NOTE the following important information before hastily jumping on it:
- This is pre-release software. We’ve done our best to ensure its quality with main focus on the new Horus and X7 platforms, with second priority on all Taranis versions (few changes from 2.1), then the other supported platforms, but we still expect there will be issues. As it is the purpose of a release candidate, we need your feedback to report things we may have missed.
- There is currently no documentation other than this page, so get yourself a good coffee to wake up, and refer to the the great communities for help e.g. openrcforums here, RCGroups and threads like this one. You can pop in our chat room where other users and/or devs may be available.
- Check during companion install that it installs itself in the correct directory, usually you want “Companion 2.2”. A bug that will still show up on this update may cause it to install itself in “Companion 2.1”, potentially overwriting your 2.1 install.
- Companion supports reading and writing Horus firmware when the radio is powered off and then connected to USB, using dfu-util and the libusb drivers installed by Zadig, exactly like for the Taranis. See the “Flashing your Taranis Radio” section in this manual. Companion can back up existing firmware (see note below in known issues) including the stock FrSky one (save as .bin), and can flash the FrSky DFU bootloader so that no other tool and/or driver swapping is needed. You might need to disable the “Check hardware compatibility” checkbox in the flashing dialog.
- SD card contents can be found here. Download the correct archive for your radio type, extract it to the root of an empty SD card and you’ll have all needed files. Please note that all existing OpenTX sound packs won’t work due to changes in the naming strategy, so you’ll likely want to use those that are included in this archive until popular 3rd-party packs are adapted.
- OpenTX does not touch the internal flash of production Horus radios. Its contents do not need to be backed up and are not accessible in any way when OpenTX firmware is loaded.
- There is no bootloader on Horus at this point. The SD card can be accessed while the radio is powered on, providing you selected the “massstorage” firmware option.
- If you are using a beta Horus and are not starting fresh (i.e. you keep your models and settings from a previous OpenTX nightly) you will need to reconfigure pot types on the Radio->Hardware page and recalibrate your sticks and pots.
- Companion installer may try to install itself in the wrong directory, see above.
- The progress bar in companion when reading firmware from a Horus is broken and will reach 100% at only 25% progress. Just wait, the window will close when the process is finished.
A rough view of the changes in OpenTX 2.2 can be found here.
Download and install Companion and use it to retrieve and transfer the latest OpenTX firmware to your radio after configuring the proper radio type. You need to check “Use OpenTX firmware nightly builds” in companion settings to be able to download firmware, and “Use companion nightly builds” to be notified of further companion release candidate updates.
Horus production version and beta version use different hardware. Companion defaults to production hardware, for beta radios check the “pcbdev” firmware option in the profile settings.
As we are getting closer to 2.2.0 release, we are now focusing on fixing the remaining issues rather than adding new features. As a result, you might see more frequent release of RC until we are ready to release 2.2.0.
If you are working on sound packs or other firmware addons or would like to contribute translations for either the firmware or companion, now is a great time to get ready for 2.2 release. (Translators, you can contact us on rocket.chat if you need assistance)
Changes since 2.2.0 RC17
- FrSky Radio : proper fix to prevent telemetry in global functions [#4810]
- FrSky Radio : display RAS only on valid sources [#4865]
- FrSky x7 : fix display issue in PPM_US mode [#4864]
- FrSky Horus : fix delete all sensor confirmation message in several languages [#4872]
- Companion : fix French translations for Horus “New category” and other “coquilles” [#4861]
- Companion : Show custom channel, G-Var, and Curve names throughout UI [#4874]
- Companion : Fix crash when importing (converting) more models than current radio can handle
SDCard content for RC18 Note : RC18 uses 2.2v0009. (2.2v0009 has not changed since RC15) Changes vs 2.2v0008 :
- percent english voice fix
- a few italian plural units
- all languages : silences at the end of files are drasticaly shortened
- Horus : several fixes for BattCheck widgets
OpenTX Companion 2.2.0 RC18 (N371) - Windows Installer If you get an error about “api-ms-win-crt-runtime-I1-1-0.dll missing” install MS VC++ runtime.
OpenTX Companion 2.2.0 RC18 (N371) - Linux DEB Package 64-bit
OpenTX Companion 2.2.0 RC18 (N371) - Ubuntu PPA (Trusty and Yakkety, i386 and amd64)